Monday, July 27, 2009

DIY Macro Studio


This weekend my husband and I attempted to make a home-made macro studio. It was fun, but actually harder than I was expecting. We did it all for under $10 though, which is the best part. I think the biggest problem was that we didn't have the right kind of lights to use, so we just used flash lights! It worked alright, but it was not ideal. First, we cut holes in three sides of a cardboard box, we covered each side with white tissue paper and put black poster board on the inside to use as a back drop. Check out strobist.com for more detailed information on how to make one.

I took some pictures of my great grandmother's purple glass bowl. She lived in Phoenix, AZ and would turn clear glass purple by leaving it outside in the sun. I don't think they make glass like that anymore! I think the hardest part of using this light box was not getting reflections from the surrounding environment. This one turned out alright though, let me know what you think!

8 comments:

  1. It looks great to me. The bowl actually looks more of a dusty rose color, instead of purple - but it's very pretty, now matter what!
    So the black poster board is what the dish is sitting on, right? How large of a box did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricia~ The box is 12 by 12 by 18. I bought the black poster board from Walgreens, it is what the dish is sitting on. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, it looks great. Very clear and sharp. Beautiful bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about macro photography, but I think your glass bowl photo looks great! That cardboard macro studio sounds like a fun project that I'd like to try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful photo. Can you fill the bowl with water

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bowl is so lovely. Your blog is very nice. The images are very beautiful. God is Great. Best wishes.

    http://www.thedynamicnature.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Works for me. The nice thing about bowls is that they don't move (thank goodness). Your cardboard studio sounds like a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice and interesting macro studio so nice attractive, it is wonderful photo has shared on the site. They have good effort for published in this site.

    ReplyDelete